Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Superboy Does Kinder!

As mentioned in a previous blog, I found a spot for Wyatt in a 3-yr Kinder program. The kinders here are not affiliated with the local schools but are often run in coordination with a childcare centre (daycare). It is most common for kids to be enrolled two 2-hr sessions a week but Wyatt's kinder is a 3-hr session Monday afternoons from 1:30-4:30. Those of you with young kids should see the immediate problem with this - that is NAP TIME! Not only would I be screwing up Wyatt's nap, but until Caty comes, I would also be screwing with Cooper and Maddy's naps as well...Oh, well - here goes nothing!

7 am - "Is is time to go to school yet?" - "No honey, school is after lunch time."
7:15 am - "Mom, can I have some lunch?" - "No honey, it is breakfast time. Then we will go to the park, then we will have lunch and then we will go to school."
8:30 am - "Is it after lunch yet mom?"
12 pm - "Wyatt, it is lunch time." - "Mom, first I need to pack my backpack for school." - "Wyatt, you don't need to pack trucks to go to school, there will be lots of toys at school." - "Then I will pack this container to put my new cars in." - "No, honey, you don't get to take the toys home." - "Mom, I need my cup for school, what else do I need then?"
12:25 - "Cooper and Maddy, I am going to my school. You can come to my school only today. This is my backpack. You don't get a backpack. Mom, can we go to my school yet? We need to take the van to my school. Or you can run there like you did yesterday (on a jog I took him by the school so he could see it)." - "Your school doesn't open until 1:30 but we will be getting in the stroller to walk to your school soon." - "You should run there Mom."
1:15 - Wyatt is almost asleep in the Chariot, Cooper is asleep and Maddy is ready to party!!! I arrive at the door to read a note that says - "We have one case of Hand Foot and Mouth Disease." I think about turning around before Wyatt wakes up then I hear - "Is this my school? Can we go in mom, please..." So in we go, fingers crossed.
1:30-2:00 - Kids come and ask Wyatt his name - "My name is Wyatt, Cooper is my little brother and Maddy is my little sister."
2:00-2:30 - Mom the control-freak teacher tries to keep Wyatt participating in the music session going on - Wyatt is like a kid in a candy shop, trying to locate all objects with wheels, either 2 or 3 dimensional in nature, he can't sit down, I threaten him with leaving and promise that he can play again after the session is over. After each song they sing, Wyatt claps and says quite loudly "Is that the end - am I done?" He is very happy once he gets a stamp on his hand from Dixie the music teacher.
2:30-4:00 - Wyatt plays with everything he can get his hands on. His attention span is -4 seconds. He loves this. The twins cope pretty well - other than half-chewing much of the fruit put out as a buffet and replacing it in the pile if they don't love it, Maddy eating the playdoh, Cooper painting another child and my own kids fighting with one another, I could almost leave them here as well if there were spots for them. I make loads of friends - seems I am quite popular with the 3-year old crowd. Kids making me playdoh coffees and pancakes and trying to force me to eat/drink them...Wyatt was a bit of a loner but since he desperately needed a nap, I think that was the best option for him.
4:05 - "Mom, I want to go to my school every Monday." - "Okay honey, we will come every Monday." - Whatever will I do when school holidays roll around...
4:08 - Wyatt is asleep in the Chariot.
4:20 - Maddy is asleep in the Chariot one block from home. I decide to walk to the supermarket to get some dinner and prolong their naps. Cooper is awake and stroking Wyatt's head as he sleeps. I wish I was Wyatt right now.
4:40 - I am caught at the train crossing which turns into a triple train crossing with the alarm sounding for a solid 5 minutes, Wyatt wakes up miserable. I curse train crossings.
4:45 - Home, 3 kids awake and wired. "Attention mothers - the witching hour this evening has been extended by 2 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."




7:30 - Lights out for all kids.
9:00 - I start snoring on the couch. Sorry Jeff. Maybe tomorrow will be saner. Fingers crossed.

0 comments: