Tuesday, February 17, 2009

POTTY MOUTH PRE-SCHOOLERS

Sitting at the dining room table about a month ago, Wyatt takes a bite of lunch and then the following conversation takes place.




















“Oh F#$%.” said in a calm, unprovoked, matter-of-fact voice.

“Where did you learn that word honey?” in a very forced calm, somewhere between laughing and complete outrage.
“My dad taught me that word.”
“No Honey, your dad did not teach you that word.” (In truth, the only believable answer to this question would have been - "No mom, I heard you say it once...or twice...")
“Actually, it was one of my uncles.”
“Which uncle taught you that word?”
“Uncle Andrew.”
“I don’t think Uncle Andrew taught you that word.” (seeing as he is in Canada and you have only spoken to him a few times in the past 8 months.)
“He did.”
“Well that is a bad word and if I hear you say it again, I will have to give you a time-out.”
“Okay.”

In the car last week on the way home from the museum.
“Oh F#$%.”
“Wyatt, what did I tell you about that word?”
“That I would get a time-out if I used that word.”
“Right. Also, that if you use that word we won’t be able to go play at your friends’ houses.”
“Who do you hear using this word?”
“My dad used it once when I woke up from my nap and he just said it.”
“Well, Daddy shouldn’t use it either. If he uses that word, he can’t go to his friends' houses either.”
“And if you say it, you can’t go to Ultimate.”
“Okay, if Mommy says it, she can’t go to Ultimate.”
“And if Daddy says it, he can’t ride his bike. Catty what if you say it?”
Catty replies “I can’t use my computer if I say it.”

This morning as they watched morning cartoons.
“Oh F#$%.”
“Wyatt, 10 minute time-out.”
Then Maddy starts with “Oh F#$%. Oh F#$%. Oh F#$%.”
No idea what to do next… no idea… Do people still wash mouths out with soap???

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am shocked to hear Wyatt blame that on me. There's no way he learned that from me, unless he secretly watched me play Ultimate in Calgary last August.