Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MORE GOR - PART III

So after much debate (or waffling) depending on your perspective, my parents asked if I could take them to see the Great Ocean Road, instead of them taking a tour or renting a car. Jeff agreed to look after all of the kids for the day, and so Catty, Mom, John and me headed out at 8:30 Sunday morning. It was a beautifully clear day, unlike my other 2 visits to the GOR, and so I was optimistic that it would be an enjoyable outing. We stopped in Torquay to visit a few surf shops, I eyed some wetsuits for the kids managed to escape, budget intact. Driving without the kids in the car, the pressure of trying to make it to a particular place before they fall asleep/wake up, the need to stop for a minimum of 2 hours to ensure their happiness, etc… made this a wonderfully relaxing experience for me. We felt bad that Leslie had to work, and that Jeff was home with the munchkins, but overall, it was a wonderful day. Highlights included catching sight of the koalas, the beautiful vistas of course, seeing a whale from the highway (pics are not good enough to include here), and the absolute coolest thing was the seal show we experienced at Loch Ard Gorge. We were watching the surf come in when I saw a fish jump out of the water. As I was pointing that out to everyone, a seal jumped out after the fish! John didn’t believe us until the seal made another lap of the cove and put on a wonderful show of swimming back and forth in front of us, leaping out of the water after fish for a good 5 minutes. I tried to up my fee for the drive based on my Steve Irwinesque ability to track animals for prime viewing, but I have yet to receive full payment! No guarantees to future visitors this feat can be repeated!

0 comments: